Just wanted to mention a few things about the need for exercise and dogs. Now we all know we need exercise to live a healthy life, and so do dogs. Dogs, especially young ones have a lot of energy, which I’m sure we all seen!
They say a tired dog is a good dog, and physical activity done regularly can improve one’s mental health (whether human or dog). Dogs are by nature very active animals and if it is not exerted in the right way, they could be tearing up the house. Lack of exercise and physical activity for a dog is usually the cause for any bad behaviour they may experience. It’s not a good idea to have a bored dog, believe me!
Regarding the amount of time each dog need to exercise, I have found a useful chart below online. Don’t worry you don’t have to do it all at once, just space it out during the day:
Just remember a few key things:
- Do it at the dog’s own pace, every dog is different and you know your dog the best.
- Try a different variety of activities to mix it up every now and again.
- Don’t overdo it, these are just guidelines, you can always see when your dog is tired
- Make adjustments for age, any injuries, weather and other environmental conditions.
- It doesn’t mean full on activity, as long as the dog is engaged in some activity.
I will write up about some of the activities and games soon as well.