What Foods Dogs Need To Avoid
Recently we spoke about foods we can share with dogs. On the other hand there are some potentially dangerous foods to avoid.
So here is a list of foods that your dog needs to avoid:
- Apple seeds – toxic to dogs, apples are fine if sliced but avoid the seeds and core.
- Avocado – contains persin, which is harmful for dogs.
- Alcohol – like humans harmful to the liver but takes a lot less alcohol to affect dogs than humans. Can be very dangerous.
- Bones – cooked bones are dangerous as can splinter when chewed.
- Onions and garlic – harmful to the red blood cells and causes poisoning. Watch out for food containing them or even in powdered form.
- Chocolate – very famous and known to be harmful to dogs.
- Caffeine – in coffee or tea and other drinks.
- Grapes and raisins – a small amount will make them sick while larger quantities can bring kidney failure.
- Dairy products – milk isn’t great for dogs as they are lactose intolerant. So avoid any dairy products.
- Macadamia nuts – avoid any foods with these nuts as will make the dog sick and vomit
- Fat – from meats can cause pancreatitis.
- Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums – it’s the pits and seeds that are the issue. Can cause issues in the intestines.
- Raw meat and fish – has food poisoning bacteria.
- Salt – too much is no good, so check if in their food.
- Sugar – too much like salt causes many health problems.
- Yeast – you normally see yeast rise when making bread and will do the same in your dog’s stomach. Will cause a lot of discomfort if eaten.
- Xylitol– A sugar alcohol found in gum, candies, baked goods, and other sugar-substituted items. It is toxic to dogs, even in small amounts.
There are other things you and this is not an extensive list, make sure you check with a vet if unsure of certain foods. Best to be on the safe side.