Foods to Avoid For Dogs
Recently we spoke about foods we can share with dogs. On the other hand there are some potentially dangerous foods to avoid.
So here is a list of foods that your dog needs to avoid:
- Apple seeds – toxic to dogs, apples are fine if sliced but avoid the seeds and core.
- Avocado – contains persin, which is harmful for dogs.
- Alcohol – like humans harmful to the liver but takes a lot less alcohol to affect dogs than humans. Can be very dangerous.
- Bones – cooked bones are dangerous as can splinter when chewed.
- Onions and garlic – harmful to the red blood cells and causes poisoning. Watch out for food containing them or even in powdered form.
- Chocolate – very famous and known to be harmful to dogs.
- Caffeine – in coffee or tea and other drinks.
- Grapes and raisins – a small amount will make them sick while larger quantities can bring kidney failure.
- Dairy products – milk isn’t great for dogs as they are lactose intolerant. So avoid any dairy products.
- Macadamia nuts – avoid any foods with these nuts as will make the dog sick and vomit
- Fat – from meats can cause pancreatitis.
- Persimmons, Peaches, and Plums – it’s the pits and seeds that are the issue. Can cause issues in the intestines.
- Raw meat and fish – has food poisoning bacteria.
- Salt – too much is no good, so check if in their food.
- Sugar – too much like salt causes many health problems.
- Yeast – you normally see yeast rise when making bread and will do the same in your dog’s stomach. Will cause a lot of discomfort if eaten.
- Xylitol– A sugar alcohol found in gum, candies, baked goods, and other sugar-substituted items. It is toxic to dogs, even in small amounts.
There are other things you and this is not an extensive list, make sure you check with a vet if unsure of certain foods. Best to be on the safe side.